Every Wednesday, we bring you the most important and amusing news stories of the past week. This week: Paul Ryan gets out-maneuvered by neo-Nazis.
- Someone forgot to tell Steve King that the alt-right is supposed to use dog whistles instead of out-and-out racist comments.
- Steve King said so many insanely racist things this week that he gets too separate bullet points on Hump Day Headlines. Congratulations, Steve!
- The investigation into Trump’s claims that Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower missed a deadline for evidence as the White House appeared to walk back Trump’s accusations a little bit.
- Kellyanne Conway thinks microwaves can spy on you (they cannot).
- It’s been a rough week for the GOP’s Obamacare replacement plan. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office has determined that the plan would cost 24 million people their health insurance.
- Conservative outlet Breitbart has become a vocal critic of the plan and has spent the week tormenting Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, leading to speculation that Trump adviser and former Breitbart editor Steve Bannon is leading an internal crusade against the plan – and against Paul Ryan.
- Moderate Republicans are abandoning the plan, too, as are some Republicans representing poor areas that rely on Obamacare (there’s some overlap here, of course).
- Left holding the bag is the GOP’s highest-ranking sane member, Paul Ryan.
- Rachel Maddow really wanted you to know that she had Donald Trump’s tax returns. After hyping up her report on Twitter and in an extended on-air wind-up, Maddow dropped the bombshell that Trump is rich and paid a lot of taxes 12 years ago. Thanks, Rachel.