Every Wednesday, we bring you the most important and amusing news stories of the past week. This week: What’s happening in the world? I haven’t paid much attention. I’m just a positive person.
- In a wild weekend, President Trump signed a seven-country travel ban that sparked nationwide protests, a lawsuit that led to a stay, and one White House screening of Finding Dory. I summarized it all here.
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer cried while denouncing the ban, and then Trump denounced Schumer’s tears on Twitter, just in case you thought 2017 was going to be better than 2016.
- The ban and the reaction defined the weekend for millions of people, but not for Trump supporter and Super Bowl-bound shithead Tom Brady, who is just a positive person.
- The first anti-terror raid of Trump’s presidency took place in Yemen and cost the lives of a Navy Seal and an eight-year-old American girl. The raid was planned under Obama, but by the time the opportunity arose it was Trump’s job to give the go-ahead.
- Here are your weekly memes, with a side of self-reflection but without any significant change in behavior.
- Donald Trump moved up the announcement of his Supreme Court nominee, totally not to distract you from massive protests and dead eight-year-olds. Anyway, it’s Neil Gorsuch.
- Democrats are already planning significant opposition to Gorsuch – no doubt in part because this pick was kind of stolen from the Obama administration. Gorsuch will probably get confirmed eventually anyway, but hey, who knows.
- Trump’s cabinet picks are mostly getting through, and a lot of Democrats are voting to confirm them. Some Democrats are drawing fire for this, but the President does, within reason, get to pick his cabinet, and that is kind of how this works.
- What’s not usually how this works is Republicans taking advantage of absent Democrats to change committee rules and push two cabinet picks through committee. Of course, they only did this because the absent Dems were boycotting to block a vote on candidates they couldn’t otherwise stop. Good to see everyone getting along.